Fruit Bran Muffins
This recipe originally called for 1 cup of apple sauce, but I had some left over pumpkin puree that I opted to try instead. I’ll be making these in a 6-cup tin and enjoying them with a wedge of laughing cow cheese as my morning breakfast this week. I’ll be giving a morning lecture on Monday & Wednesday, so this should cut down on my time to get ready before heading out:
- 1 cup each: white flour, whole wheat flour and natural bran (for 3 cups total)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
Combine in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- 1 cup apple sauce (or suitable substitute like pumpkin puree)
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk (or water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ maple flavouring (or more vanilla)
- ¼ cup of dates (or raisins or pecans), finely chopped
Whisk wet ingredients together. Stir in dates and pour into the well. Stir until just moist (don’t over do it) and divide into a prepared muffin tin (either lightly sprayed, or with paper cups).
Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, or until the centre passes a toothpick test. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing muffins to cool on a rack.
Serves 12. 1 muffin: 163 calories, 4g protein, 3.4g fat.