Must finish the raspberries in my freezer, so I’m going to make another batch of jam, and thought I’d try these:
Recipe adapted from Naomi of The Taste Traveller (via Cari Cooks »)
Prep Time: 20 min/Total Time: 45 min. Makes 12 muffins.
Handy Tips from the author: You can substitute some whole wheat flour for the all-purpose and omit the sugar if desired when using cinnamon. With all of the fruit packed into these muffins, they are pleasantly sweet without it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking)
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup granulated sugar (optional)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pie spice
- 2 egg whites (or 1 large egg)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (microwave on high for 1 min to soften)
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup raspberries or blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- Spray 12 large muffin cups with non stick cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- Combine first dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Beat eggs, apples, and melted butter/margarine together until smooth. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Fold in berries.
- Fill muffins cups almost full. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from muffin tin and place on a cooling rack for a few minutes.
Enjoy plain or slice in half and top with just a smidgen of butter or honey.