One of my favourite dishes is Croatian Style Cabbage Rolls. I had picked up a cabbage just before the markets closed, so this was lunch and dinner most days last week:
- 1 Cabbage
- 1 pound each: lean ground beef and ground pork
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (parboiled or mostly cooked)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp each: garlic and onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound sauerkraut
- 1 cup tomato juice or diced tomatoes
- Core cabbage and cook in boiling water to soften leaves, remove leaves, cut away heavy part of leaf. In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, rice, onion, egg, and spices. Mix well.
- There are two options to make this a) using ½ cup of the mixture at a time, place on softened leaf and roll up. Spread most of the sauerkraut in the bottom, then layer cabbage rolls on top, placing them seam-side down. Spread more sauerkraut on top and between the layers of rolls, then pour over tomato juice; b) spread alternate layers of sauerkraut, meat mixture, diced tomatoes and shredded cabbage to form a casserole.
- Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 hours, or longer, adding more water as necessary.
Serve with a spoonful of sour cream on your rolls. Freezes well too.