This is a classic muffin recipe but there are a few modifications for flavour you can add. Here are some examples:
- ½ cup dried cranberries and dash of orange zest, to taste
- 1 cup shredded zucchini and ¼ tsp of clove and nutmeg plus ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded carrot or apple and ¼ tsp of ginger, clove and nutmeg plus ½ tsp cinnamon and ¼ cup raisins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup Amish sourdough starter
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients and “flavour”. In medium bowl combine wet ingredients, including the brown sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ones. If extra liquid is needed add a tablespoon or so of orange juice or water. Mix quickly and spoon into 6 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400º F until brown, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Alternatively, you could add the whole batter to a greased loaf tin and bake at 350F for about 1 hour to make a quick bread.