Classic Oatmeal Muffin
A recipe I designed for Steve’s lunches because he used to make them from a store-bought mix every week:
- 1 c quick oats
- 1 ¼ c milk
- 1 egg
- ½ c brown sugar, not packed
- ½ c applesauce plus 1 Tbs oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ c flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Optional: ¾ c semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Combine oats and milk and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven 400F. Stir in egg, applesauce, brown sugar, oil and vanilla to the milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add oat mixture to flour, stirring until just moist. Bake 20 – 25 min in muffin tins.
Be sure to refridgerate these – they have no preservatives. Steve learned that one the hard way. I didn’t think to warn him and by Friday they were very rancid (but he thought it was the nutmeg flavour because he had never tasted it before. Turned out to be the applesauce).