Pork and Potatoes for lunch
This carb-free lunch is delicious. It makes 4 servings, just over 1-cup:
- 1 bunch of rapini, or kale (about 12 cups packed), trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Add rapini, cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes; add about 1/2 cup water, if needed. Cover and cook until the potatoes and greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain and place in a large bowl. Meanwhile, cook sausage with fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, turning from time to time, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (The seeds will adhere to the sausage.) Drain. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to the potato mixture.
Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the sausage-potato mixture and toss to blend. Serve immediately.