This soup is very easy to digest and nutritious. I have read that plain rice congee is normally eaten for breakfast. When made with meat, it is served as a main dish to those who are ill.
I had a bowl made with cod and brown rice for breakfast this week and found it to be very filling. In the recipe I was using, it called for:
- 10 cups stock or filtered water
- ½ cup rice (any variety but white is more common)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 6 oz of meat (chicken breasts or two fillets of white fish), cut up into small peices
- ¼ cup dried and sliced astragalus root (do not add if already used in your stock)
- 1 Tbs miso dissolved in 2 Tbs water (optional)
- 4 cups greens: spinach, chard or kale, chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped (I omitted)
- 2 Tbs finely grated ginger root
- ¼ tsp sesame oil (per serving)
- Combine the stock, rice, meat and astralagus root in a crock pot. Simmer on low for at least 8 hours.
- Remove from heat and stir in miso (if using) and greens.
- Serve in large bowls topped with onion, ginger and sesame oil.