Steve and I have decided to go through the Better Homes & Gardens Hot & Spicy cookbook and make everything that looks good. This weekend, we had a delicious dinner – a lamb stew over couscous (p32). It was hot but not spicy. What surprised us was that a small handful of lamb stew was $15. It’s quite expensive but a delicious treat for us.
- Brown the meat in 1 Tbs grape seed oil.
- Add 1 onion (quartered), 2 cloves of garlic (minced) and 2 carrots (diced); stir to coat.
- Add 1½ cups of stock and 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1 tsp each of tumeric and cumin plus salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Add 1 eggplant (diced), 1-2 red peppers (chopped) and a handful of raisins. Return to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Strain out 1 cup of broth. In a saucepan, bring to a boil and add 2/3 cup couscous. Cover and let stand five minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve stew over couscous and top with toasted cashew pieces.
Ours came out quite soupy so we used bowls with ½ cup couscous on the bottom and a heaping cup of stew, no cashews. The remaining couscous was added to the pot of left overs.