This dish mimics Paella by using lentils instead of rice as the base. Although not listed, you can add muscles, lobster, shrimp, chopped fish, or any other preferred seafood. There is a good reference for the basic cooking method on wikipedia »
- green, red and yellow peppers: each chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- white and red onions: each chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs olive oil for cooking
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups broth
- 1/8 tsp saffron (or ½ tsp turmeric)
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup peas (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, snipped
Cook the vegetables in hot olive oil, using a Dutch oven, until the onion is softened but not browned. Add lentils, broth and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes (i.e. the lentils are soft and the liquid is absorbed). Stir in tomato, peas and parsley. Heat through and serve.
This should make 4 servings (or 6 if you added the extra seafood).