Meatball Sub Casserole
Would not make again … gave us both indigestion. However, the concept is good and could probably be modified to taste better as a left overs.
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb (450g) extra lean ground beef (this is important, the fat can’t be drained off)
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup maynnaise
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8oz) mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 loaf Italian or French loaf or a bagette, cut into 1″ slices
Note to self: my loaf slices weren’t a full 1″ and they came out soggy. Pay attention and don’t skimp on thickness.
- Combine onion, crumbs, Parmesan and beef. Mix well and shape into 1″ balls. Arrange on a greased baking sheet (or on a Si mat). Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, or no longer pink.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer on a 9×13″ pan (the whole loaf may not be used). Combine the cream cheese, may and Italian seasoning, plus freshly cracked pepper to taste. Spread over the bread. Evenly distribute the cooked meatballs in the pan.
- Combine the sauce with 1 cup of water. Pour over the meatballs and top with grated cheese. Bake (uncovered) at 350F for 30 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.
To freeze this dish, stop after step 2. Once it has thawed, Omit the water and just top with pasta sauce and cheese when you are ready to reheat. Bake as directed.