Every time I try to look up the recipe, I realize it’s listed under Calzones not pizza lol
This week we had some left over marinara sauce flavoured with roasted red pepper (PC blue menu; Steve got me the glass jar kind because it was on sale. Sooo happy!). I used about 1/3 of a cup as the base sauce but also mixed some with ground beef and sautéed onion, then topped the base with chopped kielbasa, red pepper and mushroom slices, plus a thin layer of grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese (which I almost forgot). We each have ¼ slice (so it lasts two nights) with a glass of milk. Gosh it was good and very filling!
Here’s the dough recipe:
- 1 cup each: whole wheat and all purpose flour
- ½ tsp yeast (instant or regular)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian herbs (or your favourite combination to taste)
- 1 Tbs grated parmesan (optional)
- ¾ cup warm water (not hot or you’ll kill the yeast!)
Mix it all together in a bowl (not stainless steel because it’s too cold). Knead by hand for about 5-10 min. Don’t worry, all the flour will work in! Cover and let stand 2 hours.
Notse to self:
- preheat the pizza stone with the oven for a crispy crust
- dust the stone with cornmeal before placing the dough on for easier removal
- roll out the dough on a flexible cutting board then flip onto the stone for an easy transfer
- bake at 450F for 25 min. Worked like a charm again this time