Chickpea Crushed Salad
- 1½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked for about 1 hour
- 1 Tbs red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice from half a lemon (if you’ve got one of those sad, juiceless lemons, use both sides for juice)
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 cans of tuna (depending on how much volume you need)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- cracked pepper to taste
- a bit of olive oil
- Mix everything but the olive oil in a bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher. You’re not looking for a hummus puree but something closer to a coarse chop with a few smaller bits to hold it together.
- Add a bit of olive oil, mix it lightly and stuff a few spoonfuls into a pita.
This would also be great on bread or crackers. Try adding a slice of roasted red pepper, watercress or alfalfa sprouts, or sliced garlic pickles. You could also add tahini (i.e. to “butter” the bread).