Chili sauce for meatballs
The best use of chili sauce I’ve tasted so far is in Terrilea’s shrimp a la Kerry » and my Mom’s meatballs, which are:
- 1½ cups (or 12oz jar) chili sauce
- 10oz jar grape jelly
- ~2lb meatballs (store bought is easiest)
Combine chili sauce and grape jelly in a medium saucepan (or same electric skillet); stir well until jelly is melted. Add meatballs and simmer UNCOVERED on low for 30 minutes (to thicken the sauce), stirring occasionally. Serve with toothpicks in a crockpot to keep warm.
Now, on to the sauce. This recipe filled my tall stock pot and filled 4 full quarts:
- 30 medium tomatoes (7½ lb), diced
- 2½ cups onions, chopped
- 2½ cups sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 Tbs salt
- 4 cups vinegar
- In a cheesecloth bag: 1 Tbs whole cloves, 3 Tbs whole allspice, 1 Tbs celery seed
Blanch to peel tomatoes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered about 2-2½ hours, or until quite thick. Stir frequently to avoid sticking. Remove spice bag.
Pour into hot, sterilized jars. Seal immediately. No further processing is required.