Broccoli Cranberry Salad
Our potluck dinner last Thursday had delicious salads, fresh marinated chicken breasts, and myself playing bartender. I brought a rice and spinach salad and Sandy made this one:
- One very large bunch of Broccoli (generally 2 stalks), first rinse thoroughly, then cut off the outer floret’s about 1 – 1 ¼” in from the ‘tree top’. Cut the larger bunches down to nice bite size pieces. Using a coarse grater, shred the remaining stalk, first trimming off the woody outer layer towards the base of the stalk.
- 1 ¼ cup dehydrated Cranberries often referred to as Cran-Raisins
- 175 grams Marble Cheddar Cheese (or mild cheddar) coarsely grated
- one small Red Onion, diced fine (½ cup)
- ½ cup Pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup of Unsalted Sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons of fine Sugar, I use ‘fruit powered’ that has been stored in an apothecary jar with natural vanilla beans
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper, ground fresh – medium coarseness
- ¼ cup White Vinegar
- 1 cup Hellman’s Mayonnaise, I use the Lite- ½ the fat version
Combine all the ingredients into an oversize bowl & mix well to thoroughly coat all the ingredients. I prefer to serve in a clear glass bowl to show off the great colour of this salad. Enjoy!