This is a spin on our classic pizza (which is left over spaghetti sauce with veggies on a crust). I’m trying a new dough recipe based on Ratio’s and I thought we’d try calzones instead of a flat pizza. Starting with the dough:
- 1 cup each: whole wheat and all purpose flour
- ½ tsp yeast (instant or regular)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup warm water (not hot or you’ll kill the yeast!)
Mix it all together in a bowl (not stainless steel because it’s too cold). Knead by hand for about 10 min. Don’t worry, all the flour will work in! Cover and let stand 2 hours.
When the dough is ready, start the filling:
- 1 package of ground turkey
- 1 tin of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp of combined spices (Italian, garlic powder, onion flakes, etc)
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- ½ sweet onion, finely diced
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- Scramble fry the meat. Add the veggies and saute about 5 min more. Add the tin of sauce and cook for 2-3 min more so it heats through.
- Separate the dough into quarters and roll each one into a thin circle. Be patient because it’s elastic and the edges are springy. Top with mozzarella cheese and filling. Fold in half and pinch the edges closed.
- Place on a baking stone and cook for 15 min at 450F. Let stand about 5 min before serving. Total calories per serving is about 425.
The bottom was still a little soggy – Next time I will try flipping it halfway and cook for 20 min. Also, I had left over filling, which I mixed with cooked brown rice for lunch the next day.