Chicken Stew (Mafe)
This recipe is common in South Africa:
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- chicken bouillon cube
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (or less if you are adverse to spice)
- 1 can (19oz) diced tomatoes
- peanut butter to thicken (as little as 1 Tbs or as much as 1 cup. I used Tahini in this recipe because it’s what I had available)
- Cook chicken over med-high heat. Cook 5 min. Add eggplant and onions. Cook until soft.
- Place remaining ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 min
- Mix 3 parts salted water to 1 part rice. Rice must cook until it becomes water logged. After rice is cooked it should be sticky.
- Add enough flour (1-2 tsp) to the rice to make it into a mushy dough.
Serve about ½ c rice shaped into a bowl with a bowl of stew.
(Visited 46 times)