Mexican Chicken & Bean Casserole
This one is from my friend Gillian. You could scoop this into tortillas like a burrito or just eat it with a spoon! It has a bit of kick but you can mix up the proportion of tomato sauce vs salsa:
- 1 pack lean ground chicken
- 2 cans kidney or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup salsa (Note from me: I love Sobey’s Roadhouse Salsa)
- 1 tsp each: Chilli powder, Cayenne pepper, Cumin, onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 375F. Cook chicken and garlic in skillet over medium heat until fully cooked. Note about chicken: cook till an internal temperature of 80C/ 175F
- In 2L casserole dish, mix chicken with all ingredients except cheese. Cover and bake 40-45 mins
- Sprinkle with cheese; Bake uncovered until cheese is melted (about 5 min) and serve with fat-free sour cream (or plain yogurt)
My edits: I added a chopped green pepper and cooked it with the chicken. I also left out the cyanne pepper and garlic (totally forgot!). I used a tin of low sodium tom sauce (approx 1.5 cups or 350mL) and left out the salsa (see below); I thickened it by mashing 1 can of beans with the sauce and spices. After stirring in the chicken mix, I topped it with the 2nd tin of beans.
Steve said, and I quote: “I haven’t tried it yet, but it smells absolutely delicious” and that was before it had even gone in the oven! I ddin’t add any cheese to mine but topped it with salsa and had a side of tomato and cucumber salad. Delicious!!!