Italian Sausage over Pasta
This recipe is from an LCBO brochure and adapated from an original Anne Lindsay recipe (for the Heart & Stroke Foundation). It was very easy to make. I had everything ready before Steve had even finished BBQ the sausages!
- 500g Italian sausage (we used Fresh Creations turkey/chicken with roasted red pepper. Each one is 100g with 130 Cal)
- 500g of penne (or something similar)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (for saute)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the sausage (we did 12 min on the BBQ at 400F). Cut into thin round slices.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and saute the onion until tender (about 5 min). Add garlic, can of tomatoes and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 min. Add sausage. Pour over pasta and mix. Sprinkle with parsley and top with Parmesan (optional). Serves 6.