Butternut Squash Soup
This is similar to the Butternut Squash and Apple Cider Soup, but with more natural flavours:
- two butternut squash, peeled and cut until you’re tired of cutting
- 2-4 apples (this varies the sweetness), peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 tsp ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Box of low sodium/fat free chicken or veggie stock
- Place the veggies on a sprayed jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cayenne and toss to coat
- Roast for 45 min at 400F, turning occasionally
- Place the veggies in a food processor and puree.
- Add to a pot and stir in stock. Heat through and serve
Note from Kerry: If you put olive oil on your hands while chopping the squash they will get less orange. I prefer vegetable stock to puree but chicken stock is usually cheaper and easier to find. I use the 4 apples but use at least a teaspoon of pepper. It purees easier in the food processor/blender with some of the stock. I end up doing batches in the blender with the vegetables and the stock so that all of the stock is added in the blender versus the pot.