How to Make a Roux
Easy to make but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes – here’s how:
- ½ c melted butter (shortening, oil, or other fat )
- ½ c flour
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over very low heat. Gradually sprinkle the flour and immediately begin stirring.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it reaches the desired color, which may take from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until it has cooled down a bit and there’s no risk of burning.
- Add herbs, or whatever your recipe calls for, or store roux tightly covered in the refrigerator for later use.
Tips: If black specks appear in the roux, it has burned and you’ll have to start over.