Barb’s Chocolate Trifle (aka Laurie’s Sex in a Pan)
Barb shared a Chocolate Trifle recipe that is easy and will wow your guests.
- 1 Chocolate cake mix (bake 2 layers and let it cool)
- 3 Instant Chocolate puddings (make with 1 cup milk per package)
- 2 large containers of cool whip
- 6 Crispy Crunch chocolate bars crushed
- ¼ cup Kahlua ( Bailies or Tia Maria can also be used)
Sounds great already! Here’s how to make it:
- Crumble 1 layer of cake & sprinkle with 1/8 cup liqeur. Spread ½ pudding mixture over the cake, then spread ½ cool whip mixture over the pudding. Sprinkle with ½ of the crushed chocolate bars.
Barb’s note : a punchbowl works well for the whole recipe. Makes enough for 10 – 12 people.
Brooke’s note: Wow! How easy is that – I love “rinse & repeat” recipes. I do believe Laurie, Steve’s sister and master baker, made something remarkably similar for Hockey Day in Canada this past weekend except that she used Skor bars and borrowed their Mom’s trifle bowl. She called it Sex in a Pan, which Steve thought was very amusing and extremely delicious. Because she’s so awesome at making cakes, here’s a totally unrelated picture of the Ice Rink she made for Saturday (we don’t have one of the trifle) and our adorable niece Varyn in her Senator’s outfit (Don’t blame the baby. She was born in Ottawa – it’s not her fault).
Update from Laurie: This sounds good actually. It’s not quite the same thing, but it’s a similar idea. The recipe (such as it is) from a friend of mine calls for complete layers of cake. Normally, I don’t do so many layers, but the one for Saturday worked well in the trifle bowl. If you wanted to add kahlua to the one I do then just add it to the cake mix when you bake it. All mine entails is:
- one chocolate cake mix (your choice)
- one package chocolate instant pudding
- one tub of cool whip
- skor bits for the topI just baked the cakes in two 8″ pans and torted them so they were flat (which means you cut the cake in half or cut off the top of it so that it’s flat). Then did the layers. I didn’t measure or anything. I used all the pudding, but not all the cool whip.