For dinner tonight, we’re having enchiladas. I thought the sauce was something fancy, but no.
- 1:1 Tbs of flour and oil. Stir constantly to form a roux, then pour in a jar (4 cups) of chili sauce, tomato sauce (or tomato sauce diluted with chicken broth). Heat through (or for the latter cook down for about 45 minutes to thicken).
- Scramble fry beef with onion, drain (or rinse with hot water). Add taco spices and ¼ cup water. Bring to a boil, stir and let the water evaporate – this will evenly distribute the spices. I was going to add green pepper as well, but just noticed it’s still sitting on the counter, so I’ll proclaim that as optional lol!
- I rinsed a can of black beans and then microwaved them in a bowl with water for 2 minutes to soften. I then drained and mashed them.
- I also cooked ½ cup of white rice, which I mixed with the beef.
- Swirl a scoop of sauce on the bottom of your baking dish, then one-by-one, dip small tortillas into the sauce, place 1 Tbs of beans and 2 Tbs of the beef mixture. Top with shredded cheese (I used a mix of partly skimmed mozarella and low-fat cheddar). Roll it up and place it seam-side down.
- Fill the pan and then top with remaining cheese and sauce. Bake at 350F for 20 min to heat through. Serve with sour cream (or plain yogurt).
While I write this, it’s in the oven and my husband is yelling a combination of instructions, bizzare sayings I’ve never heard, profanities and occasional primordial or nonsensical screams at the tv (so if you find any typos it’s because he scared the crap out of me) – Canada is playing the US for gold in hockey 🙂 Unfortunately it’s in OT so we’ll be waiting to eat – I don’t want mess on my floor, but gosh it smells good.
Happy eating. Go Canada Go!