Triple Chocolate Brownies
For a sophisticated flavour boost, Chef Michael Smith suggests adding the zest of several oranges into the batter:
- 250 g (8 oz) of dark chocolate
- 2 sticks (250 mL/1 cup) of butter
- 500 mL (1 cup) of all–purpose flour
- 250 mL (1/2 cup) of cocoa powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 500 mL (2 cups) of brown sugar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) of pure vanilla extract
- 250 mL (1 cup) of chocolate chips
- To protect the chocolate from direct heat, melt it and the butter in a heat-proof bowl set over a small pot of simmering water, stirring constantly. When the chocolate and butter have melted, whisk until smooth.
- While the chocolate mixture cools slightly, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla to the chocolate and mix thoroughly. Stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Pour batter into a lightly oiled and floured 3.5 L (9 x 13 in.) pan. Bake for exactly 25 minutes at 350F.
(Visited 31 times)